Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Ode on Tasteless Little Sausages and Fat, Fat Cows

The meat grinder of time
grinds on, grinds you down
into little sausages.

Little tasteless sausages,
terrified sausages, afraid to speak,
afraid to think or act.

You've been seasoned white
with fear, worry, and anger;
the seasonings of modern experience.

Once you marched along,
such tender, sweet pieces of meat,
and so pure and unique.

Now you're tainted by fenced-in cows
who will only eat the green grass of home,
and tell you you're no longer safe in your own backyard.

And that meat grinder blends you
all together into that same batch
of tasteless, quivering sausage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my husband and his new girlfriend.

Hilton Hightower said...

Dearest Liz-

Do you remember the time shortly after the "incident" that you and I got together? Those were some rough times for you, as I recall, but you pulled through. I like to think it was due to my help in cheering you up and helping you forget those worthless losers in your plodding caravan west.

Remember that poem I wrote to you then. I'm enclosing it below to jog your memory.

Chew the fat,
chew the gristle,
chew the bone,
whet your whistle,
on some blood,
the blood of a lover,
and of the others,
who couldn't tarry on.

Regards,

Hilton